30 June 2020

Binary Dice Notation

Dice notation is widespread in the role-playing game hobby. It's a succinct way of expressing a concept that could easily become tedious indeed. For those unacquainted with it, standard dice notation means that instead of stating something like "Roll three six-sided dice and add the resulting numbers," one would render it as "Roll 3d6." The first digit is the number of dice rolled; the second digit is the type of die based on the highest number it generates. (Note I did not say it is the type of die based on its number of sides, as they are not always equal, such as the d3 that has six sides numbered 1 through 3 twice.)

The question, then, is how does one apply dice notation to binary dice? (Before anyone suggests it, d2 is not a binary die. It's a die that generates a number between 1 and 2. A binary die generates a number between 0 and 1.)

There are many kinds of binary randomizers. At its most basic, a coin is a binary randomizer (tails = 0; heads = 1). Any even-sided die can be used as a binary die (odds = 0; evens = 1). One can even purchase (or make) six-sided binary dice that have an equal number of sides marked 0 or 1.

At one time, I thought of just using "R" (for "randomizer"). Roll 4R. That sounds awkward on the tongue, and "randomizer" is too generic to be meaningful. All dice are randomizers, after all. So, that's out.

I dabbled with "d1/0." Roll 4d1/0. But that's too long, and the slash can be confused with the symbol for division. No good.

For a time, I considered just "d1" or "D1" (the capital D having been popularized by that other system that only used one type of die, The D6 System). As I mentioned at the beginning, die types are denoted by the highest number they generate, and for the binary die, that would be 1. The problem I foresee with D1 is having to explain it endlessly. I'm already exhausted contemplating it. That being said: Roll 4D1. It sounds too similar to "Roll forty-one." I don't like that.

Today, it occurred to me that I could use "C" as the notation. "C" is for "coin," the most basic randomizer, binary or otherwise. Roll 4C. This could mean roll four binary dice or toss/flip/throw four coins. (One doesn't ordinarily "roll" coins for this purpose.) I don't hate this idea, and it's almost reassuringly similiar to "Roll 4D" from the various D6 games. Still, "Roll four coins" is counterintuitive, and that annoys me. I could dispense with the verb "roll," but I hesitate to replace it with "throw." Throw 4C. Hm...

Perhaps the most elegant method I've seen is found in Risus: The Anything RPG. The dice notation for this D6-centric game is merely a number surrounded by parentheses. Roll (4). I like that. "Roll four" in binary terms can literally mean "Roll four binary randomizers of your choice." If I wanted to universalize the randomizing activity so it applies equally to dice and coins, I suppose I could use the word "shake." Shake (4). It's by no means standard in role-playing (although it is in Yahtzee), but maybe that's appealing. Hm...

Well, I'm still undecided, but writing this has provided more food for thought, and that inspires me, which is a good thing. So, adieu until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment